Monday, December 28, 2009

Hiatus

I have taken quite the hiatus from the blog, mostly because I have decided to take an Intercession class during the break, thus making it not much of a break at all. Intercession class sounds great in theory-- 12 classes and you're done with 3 credits! That's 3 less hours of class during the week all spring semester! However, it has been quite a drain. Between 3.5 hours of class a day (including last Saturday when I had my midterm) and going to work retail before and after class, it has been quite exhausting. However, it also means that 7:30pm comes and I am DONE. No required reading, just me, a cheese calzone (I have gone to Reginelli's 5 of the last 10 nights. I probably would have gone more if I didn't have 3 nights of Christmas festivities where my parents graciously fed me), and some pleasure reading. REAL pleasure reading! It's delightful. Thus far I have finally finished Trainspotting (I've had 30 pages left of that book since July) and have read No Place, Louisiana, a wonderful, engaging read about a fictional, dysfunctional family in 1970's small-town Louisiana. I am currently in the midst of I'll Fly Away: Further Testimonies from the Women of York Prison. This book is a collection of short stories written by women incarcerated at York Prison and mostly deal with the womens' lives before prison (stories about their childhoods, families, etc.) I'm about halfway through and must say it's a delight so far. I find it interesting to examine peoples' pasts to help understand why they turned out a certain way. The book is very intriguing and makes me curious as to what crimes these women committed. Also, as a sidenote, the book is a result of a writing workshop Wally Lamb facilitates at York Prison. For those who are not familiar with Wally Lamb's work, he is an incredible author who wrote one of my favorite books, She's Come Undone.  I am absolutely ecstatic that I still find reading "fun" after being forced to digest terribly dull law reading.  Kudos to the holidays for reminding me!

1 comment:

  1. Intercession class. Lynnie, are you trying to kill yourself? Hurry up and get here. 24 days....

    ReplyDelete